A vile man who falls ill is not less vile, he just then becomes a sick vile man

Few Americans wasted time hoping the coronavirus would finally catch up to President Invulnerable and his sizable number of recurring contacts. As to myself, neither will I devote any get-well wishes to the man whose moral recklessness has contributed to the virus’s ability to lead thus far to 7.5 million covid-19 cases, 4.9 million of whom recovered (fewer if we count the “long haulers”), .21 million deaths, and uncounted millions of persons whose economic pain has by no means been trivial. Almost certainly, he spread his virus-loaded breath even more on the very day he announced his first positive test.

Any worrying I do is reserved for persons who mistakenly assume their president has their best interests at heart. Many Americans are voluntarily wearing masks to protect others more than themselves. There’s no reason for the president to have less empathy than they. And with Trump’s faulty understanding about airborne viral transmission, many have been led toward practices that make them more vulnerable, not less. They’ve derisively laughed along with Trump in mockery of those who wear masks, treated distancing as silly and even dangerous, or were convinced their religion would save them. I’ve neither tears nor sympathy for Donald Trump, for his “strong flu” was self-imposed.

Even as late as a week ago I watched Mark Meadows, Chief of the White House Staff, say on camera the reason he didn’t have a mask on was that he’d tested negative that morning. I don’t for a minute think someone in his important position is unintelligent, though his statement was ridiculous. A test may be more or less accurate, but even if perfect, it isn’t remedial any more than a speedometer slows a vehicle’s speed. Consequently, making such an absurd remark reveals either a simple misunderstanding or some other factor, such as pleasing the boss. When other White House staff frequently make the same mistake, it appears more as if they’ve been admonished to do so. In any normal setting, I’d not arrive at so suspicious a conclusion. But we’ve learned that the White House is a setting where everything is played by Trumpian rules, such as minimal disagreement with  Trump’s decisions and using words more to obscure reality than to clarify it.

We’ve observed repeatedly that White House staff seem to consider wearing a mask to be burdensome if not a symbol of weakness. If asked why they are not wearing a mask, they pull one out of a pocket or purse and say proudly they have one “if needed.” I assume that means when in in close proximity with others or in the presence of persons known to have tested positive. When not normally wearing a mask, to do so hurriedly at these times is better than not. But it isn’t always possible to know these conditions quickly enough or to make safe assumptions about others, such as when a person walks into someone’s small office unannounced. I have been on maskless strolls through a park, for example, when surprised by a couple quietly overtaking me in a narrow walking area. I’m not meaning to advocate masks in the shower here, just pointing out that when a risk is great, the value of caution becomes even greater.

Those in Trump’s camp who slavishly seek to please him have for almost four years gone to extremes to rearrange reality to fit his egotistical construction of it. Even after the advent of Covid-19, they are expected to endanger their lives to fulfill his political wishes. Republicans not directly dependent on Trump have little or no excuse, for ostensibly they have the freedom to think for themselves. Unfortunately, Trump’s rallies exert a social pressure to leave one’s mask at home. Pretty clearly, disciples’ decibels at rallies indicate that they to exercise their freedom sparingly. As to Trump’s side of the equation, the screams of adoring fans shower him with too large a narcissistic drug for any other pleasure to compete; not even the best ice cream can lure an addict away from his heroin.

So I’ll not be sending a get-well card, nor praying for Trump’s speedy recovery. Those hopes I’ll reserve for persons with decency, caring, honesty, and a detectible caring for the United States and its people, not to mention seven billion human beings trying to help each other live in this often difficult world.

[JohnJustThinking is an irregular commentary by me (unless otherwise noted) on social, ethical, scientific, and non-partisan political, partisan political, and cultural interests. More than 230 essays have been posted since mid-2013, all accessible from any page. If you choose to be a Follower, you’ll be automatically notified with each new post.]

About John Bruce Carver

I am a U. S. citizen living in Atlanta, Georgia, having grown up in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and graduating from Chattanooga High School. I served in the Electronic Security Command of the U. S. Air Force before receiving a B.S. degree in business/economics and an M.Ed. in educational psychology, both at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. I then completed a Ph.D. in clinical (and research) psychology at Emory University. I have two daughters and three granddaughters. An ardent international traveller, I have been in over 70 countries for business and pleasure. My reading, other than novels, tends to be in history, philosophy, government, and light science. I identify philosophically as a secular humanist, in complete awe of the universe including my fellows and myself. I am married to my best friend, Miriam, formerly of the United Kingdom and Canada.
This entry was posted in Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to A vile man who falls ill is not less vile, he just then becomes a sick vile man

1. Daniel D. Hull says:

Thank goodness at least one of your followers doesn’t wish Trump dead. Actually two, counting myself.

• Dan, Are you sure about that count? I found not one who wished Trump dead in the comments to “A vile man…”

• Sandra Lowe says:

There’s a difference between loving one’s country and “hating” those who’ve sabotaged our country. It’s probable that no one who follows these posts would wish anyone dead. It’s likely that all of us want our country to be governed by competent, ethical women and men. During the Trump/GOP administration, citizens have witnessed ruination of government – corruption that extends into every agency. Nobody desires Trump dead, but those of us with eyes to see would wishTrump/GOP soundly defeated.

• Daniel D. Hull Lt Col, USAF(Ret) says:

My bad. Unnecessarily sarcastic comment. However, I do worry about Trump’s safety if he’s reelected. Pelosi and associates (the democrats and the mainstream media) have tried every trick in the book to get rid of him without success, and the hate toward Trump is at a fever pitch. So what’s the only sure thing left? Is it an understatement to say that would be bad for the country?

2. Trellismay says:

For those who haven’t read the Biden-Harris proposals/policies, there are some 49 comprehensive policy/plan proposals listed at http://www.joebiden.com. The site is quite accessible; the proposals offer structure and solutions to issues that have worsened during the last several years. It’s worthwhile to read and learn about an opponent’s strategy to solve problems.

3. Daniel D. Hull says:

Have you Trump haters thought about what you would do if he is reelected? It is possible, you know. Biden/Harris’ refusal to reveal their complete agenda to us deplorables does not bode well for their election.

4. Daniel D. Hull says:

But “I’m not Trump is not a winning strategy for Biden/Harris in my opinion. Biden is very quiet on how he would run the country, seeming to rely on hate for Trump to win. I believe that will backfire in Trump’s favor.

• If honesty, ethics, empathy, governmental integrity, and other desirable blessings do not contribute to an America that themselves reverse the sickness Trump brought down that elevator in 2016, then perhaps the Biden/Harris “winning strategy” doesn’t deserve to win.

• Daniel D. Hull says:

Blaming Trump for Covid-19 deaths would be like blaming General Eisenhower for the D-Day invasion deaths. We are at war with Covid-19 just as surely as we were at war with Germany and Japan. Deaths are a casualty of war. Eisenhower may not have handled the invasion perfectly, and Trump may not have handled the virus invading China virus perfectly – but even if they had, there would still be deaths. “War is Hell’ said a famous General.

• Ed Buckner says:

Of course Trump cannot be blamed for Covid-19, but he can be blamed for mismanagement of our response on a colossal scale. If Eisenhower had sent men into Normandy inadequately prepared and supported and 3 times or 20 times as many deaths had occurred, Ike would have been rightly excoriated.

5. Ed Buckner says:

Well said, Dr. C.

6. Trellismay says:

Great observations, thank you for another clear and crucial indictment of this president’s callous, dangerous behavior. Trump’s sickness is a sickness that infects our entire republic; we may not soon recover from the virulent behavior of this GOP tool and his enablers. GOTV, get ballots ready, get them delivered or mailed. We have one chance to vote Trump out, one chance to vote up and down ballot for Democrats who’ll bring some sanity back to Washington and to statehouses. And our concern is for those world-wide who suffer from COVID-19. Our fear is that the deliberate ignorance of those elected officials who disregard protocol will be the downfall of our country. GOTV.

• Thank you. Trump has provided a never ending stream of that “callous, dangerous, virulent” behavior that one might (must!) trust finally to expect the sanity exhibited by previous presidents of both parties. The America we remember included many contributions to the world at large and may well return to a pre-Trump partner with the world. I agree that involves the end of “deliberate ignorance” and shabby governance.

7. Sympatico says:

Another good post! My friend, a semi-retired nurse said she wouldn’t wish him dead, but would sure wish him a few weeks in ICU and on a ventilator. Sounds good to me, so that’s my wishes for Trump too😁

Sent from my iPhone

8. Ron Nickle says:

Darn good post JC!

Sent from my iPhone

Comments are moderated, so there will be a delay before they appear.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s